Friday 27 May 2011

Things I learned from my dog.

1. Wrinkles define who you are.

Sam, our Sharpie - a.k.a. Samwise Gamgee, Sam Bob or Charlie Bear
 Wrinkles, freckles, age spots, flab -- all of that stuff -- means that you've spent more time than others exposing yourself to sunshine and lots of good things to eat. I inherited good skin from the women in my family, and don't have too many wrinkles yet. As for the rest, I try my best, but I'm never giving up chocolate.

2. Bacon is good

I know it's pure saturated fat. I try not to eat too much of it, or think about where it comes from, but dang, there's nothing like a few slabs of crispy bacon to go with your scrambled eggs and coffee on a Saturday morning. Sam isn't allowed bacon either, but once in a while he gets a tidbit when he smells it in the kitchen. He hoovers it off my hand so quickly, I can't tell if he likes the taste. 

3. Birds are fascinating


For very different reasons. Sam would like to kill them. I love to watch them at my feeders and in the bird bath, splashing and shaking their feathers. A great way to de-stress.

4. Never give up


Sam is VERY stubborn. He injured his ACL, and is currently wearing a brace. He's not allowed to jump up on things or climb stairs. The living room couch is off limits, and we've blocked the staircase with a card table. His favorite place to sleep when we're out of the house is our bed upstairs. He spends a lot of time huffing and grumping about the fact that he can't nap where he usually does. After a dozen attempts, he finally managed to move the card table aside and I found him on our bed yesterday, as usual.

5. Follow your dreams

Sam loves to chase trains, squirrels, rabbits -- basically anything that moves. Even with an injured knee, I know if I unsnapped his leash he'd be off and running. It's instinctual for him to chase what he was born to chase. I admire his determination. I think about that when I'm frustrated or discouraged.


6. Cesar Milan is cute

The Dog Whisperer has helped me cope with some of Sam's 'issues', like barking at the mailman or trying to eat my neighbour's face. Along the way I've come to love the show and its fearless star, Cesar.

7. Ice cream is good.


I know it's corn syrup, fat and artificial flavors. Sam doesn't care, so I don't. He definitely likes the taste. 


Dairy Queen Vanilla Soft Serve

3 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! This is by far my favorite blog!!! I love it!!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dogs are amazingly, wonderful, lovable creatures.

    I own an Australian Shepherd. When we first brought her home as a puppy, I thought we were duped by the sweet, shy cuddly puppy that we thought she was. For the first year of her life, our whole family thought she was EVIL. A devil dog. She bit everything. And anytime someone opened the door, poof, she was was gone. I remember waving hotdogs as I ran down the street trying to capture her. It was a nutty time.

    Now, she's five years old and a wonderful dog--sweet and sensitive. She waits every morning in our hallway for me to open the doors to my kids' bedrooms so she can go in and give them each a kiss good morning. She loves waking them up.

    Dogs do teach us a lot--bacon is good, birds are awesome (we own a Cockatiel that thinks it's a dog--seriously).

    I LOVE animals. Great post. Sounds like you've got a winner of a dog (but mine's better than yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dog sounds like a winner too ;) Your bird could probably go on You Tube if he barks or something. We owned a cat once that thought it was a dog. He would retrieve those little rubber thimbles. He retrieved better than the Golden Retriever we had!

    ReplyDelete